Stomach Cancer Awareness Month
Almost four months have passed since our last newsletter. Where does the time go? Much of our time has been devoted to gearing up for November Stomach Cancer Awareness Month, which is finally upon us.
It is very exciting to see the momentum of this important awareness initiative building. What a difference between year one and year two. Only five days in and already we’re seeing a tremendous amount of interest and involvement by people who care about those affected by stomach cancer, not only in the US but in countries throughout the world. The word is getting out and the passion to help others and to make a difference is evident everywhere.
We hope you’ll get excited and involved in the effort too. Visit our website where you’ll find plenty of ideas for simple ways that you can make a difference in the fight against stomach cancer. It’s always time for awareness, and fundraising can be fun too!
Don’t forget to protect your own family by educating yourself about stomach cancer prevention and risk reducing facts. Learn about a hereditary stomach cancer syndrome too.
Online Charity Auction
We are working with The Sell It Now Store to host a year-round auction utilizing eBay Giving Works to raise awareness about stomach cancer and to raise money to fund stomach cancer research.
If you have any items that you’ve been thinking about selling, please consider donating them to NSFC for the auction. With the holidays just around the corner, consider making a purchase from the auction – you’ll be giving twice!
Check out the Charity Auctions Flyer to learn more about it. Watch for the first auction item to be coming soon!
What happened? Our Strategic Planning Meeting
In August, our Board of Directors convened in Milwaukee for a weekend long, round-the-clock gathering to discuss our vision and our mission for No Stomach For Cancer. It was an extremely powerful and productive weekend as it allowed us to really focus on what we are about as an organization. Through the many conversations about a variety of topics, it became clear that what has always defined us and continues to define us is helping people whose lives have been touched by stomach cancer.
Everything we do is about people. Listening. Supporting. Reaching out. We know that when people are dealing with stomach cancer – or any medical crisis for that matter – they want to connect with someone… a person… a REAL person….ideally, someone who can relate in some way to their situation.
And that is who we are as an organization. Although we are working to achieve our ultimate goal, our vision of “a world without stomach cancer,” we know that we will achieve that goal only through living out our mission, “to support research and unite the caring power of people worldwide affected by stomach cancer.” We know that a cure for stomach cancer is going to be the found through the collaborative efforts of outstanding medical professionals, researchers, and family members affected by stomach cancer. We are excited that our organization is able to work with all the key players to move forward toward our vision.
When we gathered as a Board of Directors in August, we were asked what we would want to see posted on our web site in 10, 20, 30 years. Each response essentially was the same, “No Stomach For Cancer disbands. A cure for stomach cancer has been found.!”
We are so privileged to be involved with such an amazing group of people. Strength comes from supporting the cause and one another, and we are excited to see what more we can accomplish.
Whether you are dealing with stomach cancer yourself or have a family member or friend who is dealing with it, know that we are here to help. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or ideas for how we can improve to better serve you.
We hope you will continue to support our efforts in any way that you can.
Follow us on Twitter, Like Us on Facebook, and please, please…Pass The Football!
Inside this Newsletter:
- No Stomach for Cancer Plans Stomach Cancer Awareness Walk
- No Stomach for Cancer Community Member to Run Marathon
- Grafton High School Recognized as part of "the one hundred" for Stomach Cancer Awareness
- Countdown to Stomach Cancer Awareness Month®
- Beads for Bellies, by Jane MacKenzie
Welcome to our first No Stomach For Cancer, Inc. (NSFC) e-newsletter. We’re glad to have you here with us! We’ve been quiet but not because we haven’t been busy. Since officially organizing as NSFC in September 2009, we have made strides in advancing stomach cancer awareness, education and support for families affected by stomach cancer worldwide. Take a look at some highlights of our recent activities.
- NSFC developed a Scientific Advisory Board comprised of top researchers and gastric cancer specialists from the US, Canada, New Zealand, and Portugal. These highly accomplished professionals will provide expert and comprehensive perspectives as well as guidance to NSFC with regard to technical, medical, and research related topics.
- NSFC initiatives resulted in establishing the month of November 2010 as the first national Stomach Cancer Awareness Month in the US. We are currently working to renew this annual designation and organize awareness events and activities.
- NSFC facilitated and participated in several educational programs presented to members of the medical community and the general public.
- From Alaska to Washington DC, Boston to North Carolina and across the pond to the UK, members of our community have held fundraising events to advance our mission and raise awareness.
- Through our website and Facebook we continue to reach and meet new families affected by stomach cancer every day. You can follow us on Twitter now too! We are making a difference. See what people are saying about us.
Our Board of Directors will be holding an extended strategic planning meeting in August 2011 to develop plans for advancing our mission and moving NSFC forward. We are very excited and look forward to sharing our plans with you.
We appreciate your continued interest and support!