Did you know…
…that Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer (HDGC) is an inherited cancer syndrome that leads to an increased risk for diffuse gastric cancer (>80% risk by age 80) and lobular breast cancer (60% risk for women by age 80)?
…that the American Cancer Society estimated that one million people worldwide would be diagnosed with stomach cancer in the year 2008, and that 800,000 would die from the disease?
…that stomach cancer is the 4th most common malignancy in the world?
…that stomach cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer mortality worldwide?
…that about 21,520 new cases of stomach cancer were estimated to be diagnosed in the United States alone for the year 2011?
…that over 10,000 Americans were estimated to die from stomach cancer in 2011?
…that the 5-year survival rate for Stage IV stomach cancer patients is only 4% and the overall 5-year survival rate is about 28%?
…that approximately 1 in 114 men and women will be diagnosed with stomach cancer in their lifetime?
…that the National Cancer Institute invested only $12.4 million to fund stomach cancer research in 2008?
…that only 0.26% of the National Cancer Institute’s 2008 budget was dedicated to stomach cancer?
…that stomach cancer received the least amount of NCI research dollars in 2008 when compared to all other cancers?
Learn more about stomach cancer and know your risks.
- 1.) American Cancer Society
- 2.) National Cancer Institute: SEER Stat Fact Sheets
- 3.) National Cancer Institute: A Snapshot of Stomach (Gastric) Cancer
- 4.) National Cancer Institute: Fiscal Year 2008 Fact Book
- 5.) U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Progress Review Groups: Report of the Stomach/Esophageal Cancers Progress Review Group
- 6.) Fitzgerald RC, Hardwick R, Huntsman D, Carneiro F, Guilford P, et al. Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer: updated consensus guidelines for clinical management and directions for future research. J Med Genet. 2010;47:436-44.
Additional links of interest: